Scholarly Paper – Telecommunication Technology And The Delivery Of Health Services
Assignment 3: Scholarly Paper – Telecommunication Technology and the Delivery of Health Services
In healthcare today, many patients/clients are increasing using telehealth applications for monitoring their health status. At the same time, in clinics and hospitals, primary care providers (PCPs) including advanced practice nurses are being challenged by patient/client questions concerning healthcare-related information and practices reported on the Internet. This assignment relates to telehealth care, the impacts of telehealth on the nursing role, and the use of standards to evaluate and recommend credible websites to patients.
In this paper, students will examine telehealth, discuss one specific emerging telehealth tool, and identify implications of how telehealth impacts emerging telehealth nursing roles. Students will also use standard criteria to identify credible websites for a selected telehealth population and design a teaching plan to empower this population to evaluate health information on the Web.
Include the following in the scholarly paper as the work is composed and organized:
- Telehealth Care and Telenursing
- Discuss the clinical and non-clinical uses of this technology and provide examples
- Identify the required safety and security provisions/standards for telehealth applications:
- Ethical (including the American Nurses Association “Code”)
- Legal (including “Meaningful Use” according to American Recovery and Reinvestment Act [ARRA])
- Regulatory (credentialing and certification)
- Generate a table of the major benefits and current challenges to adoption of telehealth applications
- Analyze how telehealth affects patients’ empowerment and patients’ engagement in their own health
- As a master’s prepared nurse in an advanced practice role, discuss how you would evaluate the quality and effectiveness of a telehealth tool
Telehealth Applications for a Population
- Select a patient population using telehealth applications and identify one specific remote monitoring system/telehealth tool that would be appropriate for this patient population
- Identify which standardized nursing and medical language(s) are captured by this tool
- Access the Institute for Healthcare Improvement’s [IHI] website at http://www.ihi.org/Engage/Initiatives/TripleAim/Pages/default.aspx
Explain how this selected telehealth tool addresses each of the three dimensions of the “IHI Triple Aim”
- Explain how the master’s prepared nurse will be impacted by this telehealth application
- Analyze the role of the telenurse in using and educating the patient about this specific telehealth tool
- What training would be needed
- What equipment would be used
- How would you assess the patient and family’s response to this telehealth tool?
Evaluating Health-Related Websites for Populations
For the preferred patient population, identify two credible health-related web sites that would be useful to ensuring this population’s effective health status
- Explain why (what specific aspects of the website) you would recommend these websites to this population.
- What website evaluation criteria did you use?
- Assess and report the reading level of information presented in each website
- Present a teaching plan to educate these patients about how to select a reputable and credible health website to manage their health
This is a scholarly paper of 6 to 7 pages (excluding title page and reference page(s).
Students are expected to apply APA formattingto the entire document, including the title page/reference page(s), the level headings, and in-text citations/quotes.
References: peer review references more than 3
Submit the assignment to TurnitinDirect prior to the final submission to the assignment drop box. Please be sure to review the originality report and make any needed changes.
Submit to the assignment drop box by the posted due date. (Nov/29/2016)
Assignment 3 Telecommunication Technology & the Delivery of Health Grading Rubric (Total 30 points)
|Depth of Response||12 points||10 points||8 points||4 points|
|All topics addressed and all questions fully answered.||All topics addressed and most questions fully answered.||All topics addressed, and most questions partially answered.||One or more topics not addressed or completely answered.|
|Quality/Accuracy of Information||10 points||6 points||4 points||2 points|
|Information clearly relates to the main topic. It includes several supporting details and/or examples.||Information clearly relates to the main topic. It provides supporting details and/or examples.||Information clearly relates to the main topic. A few details and/or examples are given.||Information has little or nothing to do with the main topic.|
|Organization||4 points||2 points||1 point||0 points|
|Information is very organized with well-constructed paragraphs and subheadings.||Information organized with well-constructed paragraphs.||There is an attempt at organization but errors exist.||The information or overall structure appears disorganized.|
|Sources||4 points||2 point||1 point||0 points|
|All references are from relevant peer-reviewed sources, within a 5-year timeframe or are classic sources.||The majority of references from relevant peer-reviewed sources, within a 5-year timeframe or are classic sources.||Some references are from non-peer-reviewed sources or are older than 5 years.||Majority of references are from non-peer-reviewed sources or are older than 5 years or|
|Up to 10% deduction of the assignment grade for errors in APA style [title page, introduction, purpose statement, level heading, conclusion, references, citations, and format], spelling, and/or grammar.|