To prepare for your assignment, review “Career Paths of a Hospitality Management Student”, located at http://www.hcareers.com/us/resourcecenter/tabid/306/articleid/573/default.aspx. This article provides an overview of the various responsibilities of managers that are commonly found in the hospitality and tourism industry.
Next, read “A Day in the Life of David Lindahl, General Manager of Daily Diner Frogtown”, located at http://minneapolis.eater.com/2013/7/19/6399397/a-day-in-the-life-of-david-lindahl-general-manager-of-daily-diner. Then, read “The Day in the Life of a Hotel GM vs. CEO”, located at: http://uromastyx.typepad.com/blog/2014/09/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-hotel-general-manager.html.
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
- Describe the various types of management careers that can be offered within each industry (lodging, and food and beverage).
- Compare and contrast the differences between the General Management (GM) positions within the two industries.
- Analyze and describe the growth in overall employment within these two industries and how this overall growth is forecasted within the next ten years.
- Recommend at least three human resource practices in which each industry can better recruit and retain management talent for their respective industry.
- Use at least three quality references. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not quality as academic resources.
- Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
- Include a reference page. Citations and references must follow SWS format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Discuss various career opportunities in the food service and lodging industries.
- Describe the significant trends impacting the hospitality industry.
- Analyze the basic procedures involved in managing a restaurant operation.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in hospitality and tourism management.
- Write clearly and concisely about hospitality and tourism management using proper writing mechanics.